With only four months left to travel, and the now looking quite likely stint in rehab to follow said backpacking experience, instead of setting a series of goals this year, I’ve decided to go a bit big budget. I talk a lot on my trip about my ’50 Things’ list, but I’ve never really sat down and listed them all. As it turns out at this stage of my life, despite compiling for many, many years, I’ve only 35 entries, but I was unwilling to compromise on ‘filler’ for the sake of having a full list. I’m 23 years old, so hopefully in the course of the next few decades I’ll be able to add items in that have real meaning rather than ‘I need 50!’. Besides, the 35 so far are more than ambitious enough for at least six peoples lifetimes. Whether or not some of them are achievable (see Number’s 7 and 24 as an example) isn’t really the point. It’s about going for a goal and having something to shoot for.
Therefore this is not a list exclusively for 2013, though hopefully I will be able to tick off a couple this year, especially in relation to some of the travel goals. And like I said before, realism doesn’t come too much into this. It’s all about the dream…
Without further ado:
50 THINGS TO DO BEFORE I DIE.
*the entries in bold have already been completed with the brackets indicating the date.
1. Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge (Dec 2004)
2. Get Eyes Lasered (May 2009)
3. Try Meat Again (2009)
4. Hike from Lands End to John O’Groates
5. Visit the Lake District (September 2010)
6. Run the London Marathon
7. Swim the English Channel
8. See the 7/8 Man Made Wonders of the World:
- Pyramids of Giza
- Coliseum (July 2007)
- Macchu Picchu
- Taj Mahal (September 2012)
- Chichen Itza
- Christ the Redeemer
- The Great Wall of China
9. See the 7 Natural Wonders of the World
- Mount Everest (October 2012)
- Victoria Falls
- Aurora Borealis (The Northern Lights)
- Grand Canyon (January 2013)
– The Great Barrier Reef (August 2012)
- Rio Harbour
- Halong Bay (October 2010)
10. Write a Novel (April 2009 – May 2010)
11. Become a Published Author
12. Travel 100 Countries – Properly (Total Count: 26)
13. Gain a Bachelors Degree (September 2007 – November 2010)
14. Hold an Open Water (+) Diving License (August 2011)
15. Backpack around the world for a minimum of one year
16. Live in a Non English speaking country for a minimum of six months
17. Become fluent in another language
18. Hike the Himalayas (September – October 2012)
19. Sky dive (November 2012)
20. Live in Sydney, Australia (November 2011 – November 2012)
21. Climb Mt Killimanjaro
22. Go to the Superbowl
23. Visit all 51 States of America (Total:5)
24. Go into Space
25. Go aboard a cruise
26. Set foot on all Seven Continents (South America, North America, Asia, Oceania, Africa, Europe, Antarctica)
27. Visit Antarctica.
28. Dive the Red Sea in Egypt.
29. Learn to play a musical instrument
30. Achieve over one million views on the blog.
31. Eat at a Michelin Star Restaurant.
32. Island hop the South Pacific
33. Ski a Black Run
34. See in the New Year in Times Square
35. Pro-create (at the appropriate time)
Extremely ambitious, however why not try and live large? And I will, on the condition that I actually complete any of these things, be documenting them on the blog (this is not in anyway related to No. 30) in the hope that my future children (See No. 35) will look at this in the future and say “Why, wasn’t Daddy a master procrastinator’) And I will say yes children. Yes I was.
Because life is way too short, and we are lucky enough to live.
In other news:
Happy Birthday Mum!
Music of the Moment – Florence and the Machine/Calvin Harris – Spectrum (Say My Name)